Have you ever wondered if you would do something that would impact the lives of hundreds, if not thousands, of kids in Congo? Well, here's your chance to make a double impact!
OUR STORY: During the last 10 years the Mitendi area of Kinshasa has experienced a population explosion. The majority of the families that live in the area surrounding the Mitendi Women's Center have fled to the capital city to find work, but sadly, they live at what we would consider refugee status. The government is unable keep up with their needs. The Congolese Baptist Women, who run the Mitendi Center, could not ignore the fact that there were over 1,000 children in the immediate neighborhood not attending school. Mama Mfulu, a Mitendi staff member, said to me, “This is a disaster waiting to happen. We can either wait 5 or 10 years, when all of these children are deeply imbedded in gang life and prostitution, to reach out to them then – or we can do something now to provide for their education and a more secure future. For me there is no choice!”
In 2011, the Congolese Baptist Women opened a primary school in the Mitendi Women's Center building.
OUR SITUATION: The current primary school has reached its maximum capacity of 330 primary school students (grade levels 1-6). With those 330 students, 95 at-risk girls in our training program, and 13 permanent staff members, we are exploding at the seams of the Mitendi Women's Center building! It simply is not feasible to continue to accommodate both programs in this one building.
OUR SOLUTION: We have prayerfully considered building a separate primary school building. God willing, we will begin construction in May 2017. With 12 acres, secured within the beautiful wall, we have plenty of space. The school building will include six classrooms, a meeting room, a library, storeroom, administrative office, and all the furnishings. It will have the capacity to serve over 700 students – more than double the number of students currently enrolled in the primary school – and will free up the Mitendi Center building for its intended purpose: ministering to young at-risk women.
The building cost: $167,351.
YOUR OPPORTUNITY: Generous donors have already pledged half the amount of the project ($83,000) and are challenging others to respond with the additional funding. Give to the “Mitendi Primary School Building” and your donation will have a double impact. Your gift will be matched dollar-for-dollar and will release the challenge money to fully fund the project!
Most importantly, your gift will provide the school where thousands of the most vulnerable children in Congo will build a better future.
HOW TO GIVE:
· Online. Use the following link: https://internationalministries.org/projects/255. Locate the GIVE box on the right. Enter the amount you would like to contribute and use the give button to donate by credit card.
· By phone. Call Carol at 1-800-222-3872, ext. 2323, to give by credit card.
· By check. Make your check payable to International Ministries, write “Mitendi Primary School Building” on the memo line, and mail to International Ministries, PO Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851.
NEW ONLINE GIVING OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR STUDENT SCHOLARSHIPS:
1. With your help, through the Mitendi Women's Center Annual Fund, we will provide scholarships for 65 at-risk girls and women in the Mitendi Women's Center training program.
· $380 provides housing, food, and materials for a young woman in our residential training program for a full year ($95 per quarter).
To give, use the following link: https://internationalministries.org/projects/256. Locate the GIVE box on the right. Enter the amount you would like to contribute and use the give button to donate by credit card. You may make a one-time donation or subscribe for a recurring gift.
2. Through the Mitendi Primary School Annual Fund, we hope to provide scholarships for 200 of our most vulnerable primary school students.
· $140 provides school fees and materials for a “most vulnerable” primary school student for a full year ($35 per quarter).
To give, use the following link: https://internationalministries.org/projects/257. Locate the GIVE box on the right. Enter the amount you would like to contribute and use the give button to donate by credit card. You may make a one-time donation or subscribe for a recurring gift.
*If you have any questions, please contact Zofia Dripps, I.M. Mission Advancement, at 610-768-2311. You can always e-mail me, as well.
Thank you for keeping us in your prayers and for being part of this exciting project that will transform the lives of hundreds of Congo's most vulnerable women and children!
God bless you,