STEP Tutoring Program in Panama
Goal: $25,000 per month
About this Mission Project
The children in Changuinola, Panama, are raised on banana plantations, where life can be very difficult. They are bullied, live in poverty and struggle to keep up with their peers. They need extra help with their studies. In 2007, the Centro Teológico Bautista del Caribe Panameño started a tutoring program for these children.
Pablo was in eighth grade when he first joined the tutoring program. He developed good study habits and, after four years in the program, he graduated from high school.
This project will allow the program to expand to help 50 students in grades K–12. The challenge is to find a bigger location and to help with rising costs for school uniforms, backpacks, supplies, snacks, transportation and tutors.
- $100 supports two children and a teacher.
- $250 supports six children for a month.
- $500 supports 12 children.
Mission Project Specifics
This project is part of STEP, the Student Tuition Expense Program. The purpose is to assist students who need tutoring in Changuinola, Panama. There are 50 children who come to the program every day needing special help during the 10-month school year. Funds provide school uniforms and shoes, school supplies and backpacks and breakfast, lunch and a snack.
This project will be managed by IM missionary in Panama Ingrid Roldán-Román.
It is anticipated that this project will help the children to excel in school so that they can have the opportunity for a better future and to learn Biblical principles and develop a relationship with God.
Connect to this Mission Project
- Pray with Ingrid and those in the Changuinola community as they help the children not only to improve in their studies, but also to grow spiritually, develop a personal relationship to God and become involved in their communities.
- Your donations make this mission project possible.
- To donate by check, write Panama/Roldán/STEP Tutoring on the memo line and mail to International Ministries, PO Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851.
- Share this information with others in your community and in your church family.
- For more information, contact Chris Marziale.
In the picture above...
This is one of the young boys who attend the tutoring program. He gets special help during the school year, which lasts 10 months. Tutoring helps the children develop good study habits, improves their self-esteem and gives them confidence as they move forward to higher grades in school.