Nursing Education in Northeast India
About this Mission Project
The state of Assam is nestled in Northeast India, the “Tea Garden” area. The level of education available to day laborers is very low and the economic condition of the people is insufficient for their needs.
The Assam Baptist Convention wants to assist its young people by sending one young man and two young women to nursing school in the capital city of Guwahati. The 3½-year program will give them a diploma in General Nursing and Midwifery. The total cost for all 3½ years is 210,000 rupees, or about $5,250 U.S. dollars—a fortune for tea laborers. The Assam Baptist Convention will cover this cost, which includes housing and tuition, and students’ families will pay for their meals.
- $125 pays one month’s tuition for one student.
- $500 pays for four months of nursing school.
- $1500 pays for a year for one student.
Mission Project Specifics
This project seeks to raise $15,750 to provide three deserving students in Northeast India’s Tea Garden with a nursing education.
This project will be managed by the General Secretary of the Assam Baptist Convention R. K. RayChawdhuri.
It is anticipated that this project will advance the overall goal of empowering young adults in the community by educating them and equipping them with skills that are in demand.
Connect to this Mission Project
- Please pray with the Assam Baptist Convention that God will grant grace and mercy to Christian leaders as they seek his kingdom and righteousness.
- Your donations make this mission project possible.
- To donate by check, write India/Assam Bapt. Conv./Nursing Students on the memo line and mail to International Ministries, PO Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851.
- Share this information with others in your community and in your church family.
- For more information, contact Chris Marziale.
Junmoni comes from a very poor family. Her father is a day worker in the Tea Garden and her mother is deceased. Junmoni has a passion to go continue her education, but family finances don’t permit it. She longs to become a nurse and is afraid that she will be married off if she remains in Tea Garden.