Buy School Lunches and Supplies for Elementary Students in the Dominican Republic
Goal: $20,000 per year
About this Mission Project
Getting good grades in school can be hard enough on its own, but it’s all the worse for children who can’t concentrate because they are hungry. And it’s even more challenging when there are no books or other teaching materials.
In the Dominican Republican settlement of Batey 35, Haitian families work in sugar cane fields to earn a meager living. Most of the workers are not educated, but they dream of a better future for their children.
The Student Tuition Expense Program (STEP) seeks to make it possible for 75 students in kindergarten through eighth grade in Batey 35 to have not only books but also backpacks, uniforms, other school supplies and nutritious lunches.
- $60 provides backpacks for four children.
- $100 gives school uniforms to five children.
- $200 buys all students lunch for two weeks.
Mission Project Specifics
This project seeks to raise $20,000 per year to cover the educational costs of 75 Haitian children in Batey 35 in the Dominican Republic.
This project will be managed by a foundation in the Dominican Republic that includes leaders from the Iglesia Bautista Misionera Haitiana and members of Pennsylvanian churches Christ’s American Baptist Church and Carlisle Evangelical Free Church.
It is hoped that this project will help the children of Batey 35 break free of the cycle of poverty and have a chance for a better future outside the sugar cane fields.
Connect to this Mission Project
- Please pray for those who will be teaching the children of Batey 35 about Jesus Christ.
- Your donations make this mission project possible.
- To donate by check, write STEP/Dominican Republic/Batey 35 on the memo line and mail to International Ministries, PO Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851.
- Share this information with others in your community and in your church family.
- For more information, contact Chris Marziale.
In the picture above...
The Haitian children at the Escuela Cristiana Bautista del Norte learn academic subjects as well as personal care, hygiene and life skills from caring and God-loving teachers.