Poultry for Protein and Profit in South Africa
About this Mission Project
Clusters of brightly painted huts sit on hilly grasslands decorated by aloes with orange flowers in this rural area of Zululand. The scenery masks high unemployment rates, limited access to education and increasing food prices. Many people lack high-quality protein such as eggs in their diet.
Brian Zuma was an unemployed young man until he met us. But since he undertook our mentorship in poultry, he has become a local businessperson, selling layer chickens and quail. He is organizing friends and lobbying the government to get land to start a poultry cooperative. Not bad for a guy who was unemployed six months ago!
- $100 will provide an incubator.
- $250 brings 12 hens, two roosters and the promise of many future eggs!
- $1,500 underwrites a living wage career for one person by establishing a small hatchery and layer operation.
Mission Project Specifics
Building on previous success, this project seeks to raise $30,793 per year in the next three years to enable 60 Health Builder trainers in South Africa to establish egg hatchery and hen layer operations. This project will be managed by missionary Drs. Anita and Rick Gutierrez.
It is anticipated that this project will improve the overall health of the community, impacting the lives of 4,000 Zulu women, men and children. It will provide a career path with a living wage for many young people who never considered hatchery poultry production as a viable career.
Connect to this Mission Project
- Pray with Drs. Anita and Rick Gutierrez and numerous partners in South Africa for the continued success of this groundbreaking development program.
- Your donations make this mission project possible.
- To donate by check, write South Africa/Gutierrez/Poultry on the memo line and mail to International Ministries, PO Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851.
- Share this information with others in your community and in your church family.
- For more information, contact Chris Marziale.
Health builder Brian Zuma loads newly hatched Potch Koekoek chicks into his homemade brooder. Brian has been very successful with both chicken and quail production. He aspires to start a large poultry producing cooperative. He sees God's blessing through the birds and skills that we together have brought him.